Canadian rules about criminal inadmissibility and how to overcome them

Canada has some very strict rules about who they allow entering their country and who not. Many offenses can be considered minor in your country but may be considered major crimes as per Canadian law. So, if you want to visit Canada for any purpose, you must first find out if your record makes you criminally inadmissible in Canada. In case you have any convictions or arrests in your past, you may need to hire a lawyer to advise you on how to proceed. You can also contact the Canadian embassy to find out what steps you should take to rectify the situation.

Types of crime

Summary offences, indictable offences and hybrid offences are the three categories of offences under the Canadian law. Summary offences are categorized as minor crimes while indictable offences are very serious crimes. Hybrid offences are those crimes that can be punished by either indictment or summary conviction. But if your crime is a hybrid offence, then it will be treated as indictable under Canada’s immigration law.

If you were convicted of one summary offence, then you will have no problem entering Canada. But if you have committed several summary offences, you will be considered inadmissible. But if you have committed indictable offences, even one of them, you won’t gain entry to Canada in a conventional way.

What options you have:

Well if you find yourself in any of the above categories, then you know you are in trouble. You can’t get into Canada with a visa. You will need a way to convince the Canadian authorities that you pose no risk to the country and its people, and you have no intention of violating any laws when you are there.

You also need to have a valid reason for going to Canada. You can apply for a temporary resident permit; this will allow you to visit and stay in Canada for as long as three years and you can apply for an extension if you need it. However, keep in mind that if you do anything that can be construed as crime during your stay, your TRP could be cancelled and you could be deported. And you will never be given another chance to visit Canada.

You can consult the Law office of David Genis if you are in any trouble.

Applying for TRP:

The TRP application has to be made through a Canadian Visa Office. The main purpose of the application is to present a reasonable argument as to why you should be allowed to enter Canada if your reason outweighs the danger or rather risk that you pose to the citizens of the country. You will be able to achieve this by providing a recommendation from your employer or your teacher if you are still in school.

If you have only one offense in your record and you didn’t have to serve any jail time, then you are eligible for a TRP. This kind of TRP is issued at the border, and you will not need to pay the $200 fee. But this is done only once, and whether or not you will be issued a TRP will rest on the Canadian Border services officer. So, it is better to apply for and get a TRP much before travelling to Canada or you might have to turn back after travelling so far.